The Hawkins Family

Tuesday, January 22, 2008

Kill them with Kindness

When I was younger, we are talking early 90's, I was friends with someone who was always mean...we will call him "Bob". There was never a kind word from Bob, always hateful, but for some reason I felt drawn to Bob and wanted to befriend him. I remember telling my dad about how mean Bob was and how I was ready to forget about it. He told me to "kill them with kindness". This was what a good Christian person would do and that my kindness would eventually break Bob down and he in turn would be kind. I tried "killing Bob with kindness", but to no avail ... I was ready to just KILL Bob! I never gave up on Bob and to this day when we see each other or speak through email, I make it a point to be positive and kind.

I talk about my past, because today I was doing my daily bible reading for my Navigators class and I was reading through the book of Romans. And then, there it was. The words that my dad told me oh so long ago!

"If your enemy is hungry, feed him; if he is thirsty, give him something to drink.
In doing this, you will heap burning coals on his head.
Do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good."
Romans 12:20-21
Killing your enemy/evil with goodness and kindness is not only a good Christian thing to do, but it is something God requests of us. Man, my dad is one smart dude! No wonder he is such an amazing man of God!

No comments: